Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 4 of 321 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 28 29 30 31 32
re: Pretty Nail Addict
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Mon Sep 24, 2012 01:38 AM
I ordered the 2012 set, the 26-50.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 08:02 PM
Edited by hooray4jj (97099) on 2012-09-23 20:03:12
OK, so I did it! I signed up for Julep Maven. Right now if you use the discount code 'PENNY' you get your first month for just ONE CENT! Just don't forget to put in the code when you get to your cart. I don't know how long the code will work, but it is normally $19.99 a month and you can cancel at any time. I chose the "It Girl" style profile because it is the only one that has 3 polishes in the first box, but you can change your profile whenever you like. You can also postpone your box for just a month at a time if you want. The link here and at the beginning of this post is my referral link, so if anyone decides to sign up, if you would kindly use my link it would be much appreciated!

The products seem really cool and I have heard that the polish is super creamy and wonderful. I am excited, as I have been looking for a yellow polish, so it will be worth it for me for just that one polish! Plus, you get new stuff delivered straight to your door!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 05:13 AM
Where do you guys do your nails? Like in a chair, at a table, on a bed? I have a lap desk I use so I do my nails in a recliner or on my bed. Though I have yet to find the best way to do my toenails, I always mess up when I do my toes.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Sep 26, 2012 01:27 AM
Spiorad, I thought of you when I saw this www.consiglimakeup.it . . .

Spent way too much time on pinterest and my new polishes shipped today!

I have one of those TV trays that I do my nails on, its easy because I don't care if I get polish on it, and its moveable so I can sit on the couch or whatever. I honestly do my toenails by just pulling one foot up on the couch at a time like I am hugging my knee. If I have to reach too far my hand gets wobbly.

PS. I saw someone has used my link to sign up for Julep, because I got 1 credit, so thank you if it was one of you! I guess if I get another credit, I get a free month, so that is pretty awesome!
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Wed Sep 26, 2012 01:35 AM
PS. I saw someone has used my link to sign up for Julep, because I got 1 credit, so thank you if it was one of you! I guess if I get another credit, I get a free month, so that is pretty awesome!

That would be me ;) Thanks a lot! I saw it and couldn't refuse that kind of offer...will probably cancel. In fact, I know I will be as I cannot afford it but that penny deal was too great to give up. My package was shipped today!
On Wed Sep 26, 2012 01:48 AM
^ I know, right? One whole penny. Haha. I heard that to cancel you have to call them, just FYI. Technically you could stay signed up and keep your eye out for deals and good boxes, but if you don't have the money just opt out every month. I know, easier said than done to remember. You get to see what is going to be in your box before you decide, so you can also choose another box too. Or just try to get 2 of your friends to sign up and you get a month free =)
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Wed Sep 26, 2012 05:03 AM
I signed up too! But I know I'm going to cancel XP I wish that I could afford it but not right now. I figured for a penny I could try it out and see if it was any good and maybe sign up for it later or ask for a subscription as a gift or something.

Amylia - You are going to love them! The 2012 has great variety. I can't wait to use mine. I'll probably bust them out for girls night on Friday with my friends. One of my friends is going to be doing henna so I am super excited! haha

Hooray4jj- I wish I had seen that before! She just showed me a picture and I did it freehand. Those little circles would have made it so much easier! I have also seen them used to do a really perfect French Manicure.

Majere- I will pretty much do my nails anywhere. I have a "nail polish rag" that I just plop down on whatever surface I am going to use and so if there are any spills, or I need to wipe off my stamper or scraper, it is no big deal. Usually I'm in bed though.

A tip for everyone using nail stamp plates:
I don't know if it is just me but I cant stand having to use a Q tip or cotton swap to clean my plate and stamper. The "lint" free ones are never lint free! So I went and got a powder puff from walmart (it was like, $1) and I use that instead, it works so much better! I just put some acetone on it and I dont have to worry about lint, or my other nails getting messed up!
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Wed Sep 26, 2012 09:32 PM
My stamper came today! Now just waiting on my plates. Eep! so excited.
On Fri Sep 28, 2012 03:09 AM
My Julep Maven came today! That was some seriously fast shipping, it shipped on the 25!

I got the "It Girl" selection which was 3 polishes.

Purple - Morgan
Yellow - Blake
Aqua - Claire

All the polishes are 8ml or .27 FL OZ. Just so you can have some basis of comparison Sinful Colors are 15ml or .5 FL OZ and are usually $1.99 though you can usually find them on sale at Walgreens 2 for $3.00. Sally Hansen Xtremewear is 11.8ml or .40 FL OZ retail for about $3-5. Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure is 14.7ml or .5 FL OZ and retails for about $8-9.

These polishes retail for $14.00 on the Julep Maven website. But on one of the inserts in the box it says that as a Maven you get "20% off all products in the Maven Boutique, plus free shipping". This makes them $11.20.

Now I haven't used them on my actual nails other then to swatch but here is my opinion.

Julep claims you only need one coat for these polishes but that is not so. The only polishes that I have ever been able to use with only one coat have been: Mercedes by Pure Ice and some of the Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure polishes (mainly Calypso Blue and Grass Slipper).

A lot of people are complaining about the smell but I don't think it is any worse then any other nail polish. The brushes are a little on the thin side but it is not that big of a deal.

What is a HUGE deal breaker for me is the size. The actual content of nail polish is absolutely NOTHING for the price. Julep is not a well known, established brand, and if I hadn't gotten these polishes for one cent I would not have bought them at all. The colors are nothing spectacular, I have seen much better colors from Spoiled and Sinful Colors for much much less.

Overall I am glad that Hooray4jj found the coupon code so that I could try them out without spending to much but I will be cancelling tomorrow.
On Fri Sep 28, 2012 03:29 AM
Mine shipped on the 25th as well, but I probably won't have them for at least another day. I sort of figured that I won't fall in love with the polishes, but I wanted to see what the hype was all about. I have seen a lot of bloggers and other message boards using Julep, so for a penny I thought why not! They are on the small side, but if price wasn't a factor the size wouldn't bother me, I rarely ever use an entire bottle of polish, it is more likely to go bad on me before I can finish it. I have very few polishes that cover in one coat. I have an Essie that does, which is what makes it my favorite polish, and I have a Sally Hansen and a Wet N Wild that do as well, but I don't even like those colors so they will be used for stamping.

Which brings me to my next update. I got my stamp and plates, and it was much easier than I imagined, just a bit of a pain to clean up while trying to not get acetone on my just stamped nails. I didn't take a picture or anything because I don't like the white that I used to stamp, it wasn't opaque enough so the stamp is not as vivid.
On Fri Sep 28, 2012 05:02 AM
^ Let me know how it goes! I would like to try a beauty subscription service at some point but I just don't have the money right now :(

Let me know what colors you get! I am wondering if for the first box they send out the same ones to everyone or if there are different ones. You got "it girl" as well, right?
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Fri Sep 28, 2012 07:03 AM
Overall I am glad that Hooray4jj found the coupon code so that I could try them out without spending to much but I will be cancelling tomorrow.

Good luck. I was on hold for 7+ minutes and got to a voicemail saying leave my name, phone number, and e-mail and I will have a cancellation email within 24 hours. We shall see but really...your customer service line is THAT busy?

I got the Boho Glam one...it's a pink, darker purple, and then the Pedi Creme. The Pedi Creme felt good on my feet...I was surprised at how small the polishes were. I thought they'd be longer and there doesn't seem to be a lot to it. I like the colors although I already had a purple similar to it but I really like the color so I am sure it will get used.
On Fri Sep 28, 2012 07:07 PM
^ Really? I got through right away and spoke with someone who was really nice and helpful. I already got my cancellation email as well. Maybe it was the time of day you called?
re: Pretty Nail Addict (karma: 1)
On Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:45 PM

So I decided to do my nails today because I haven't really had a chance to do them in 2 weeks. Last week I just slapped on a coat of silver and left the black/gold glitter, so this week I wanted a total change!

Pink Bows and white Poka Spots!
313 Pink Forever - Sinful Colors
(Bow) White - Special Konad Polish
(Poka Spots) 101 Snow Me White - Sinful Colors
MASH - Plate 28
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sat Sep 29, 2012 07:02 PM
I'm having some serious nail envy right now! I wish I were coordinated enough to do these things. I'm going to looking into those nail plates though because those are SO cool! Ulta is having a sale this weekend so I might have to go spend some money getting some new polish there and order myself some stamping plates.
On Sun Sep 30, 2012 03:13 PM

First try with my plates. Not super happy with how it turned out, but not disappointed either. I don't like the base coat I chose, I'll know better for next time. Also, did these at 2:30 AM haha, not optimal.
On Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:43 AM
Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/cnXyGh.jpg'
couldn't really see the accent nail in this one, so I took a picture inside

Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/H9ON5h.jpg'

For only my second attempt at stamping, I like it! I chose much better colors this time, so the stamp actually showed up correctly! I used Konad plate M60, Jessica Vineyard Pinot, Sall Hansen Insta Dry Silver Sweep and China Glaze Platinum Pieces crackle on the accent nail.

I went shopping yesterday and found a TJ Maxx that was like, gorgeous inside. They had a lot of NOPI but I wasn't really into the colors, they were a 2 pack for $8 and for that price I wasn't going to get colors that I didn't like. However I did find 2 sets that I took a chance on.

Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/KMI0Mh.jpg'
$4.99, included Tarnished Gold, Cracked Medallion and Platinum Pieces. I have never really liked crackle polish, but for $5 I thought I would try this kind since it is a small glitter crackle, and I actually really like it!

Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/j5PkLh.jpg'
$5.99 for 5 mini polishes. Including a Top Coat, Solar Eclipse, Double Dipped, Vineyard Pinot and Rainbow Red. I had never had a Jessica polish before, but I know that they are mildly popluar, and I really liked how the polish went on. I used 2 thin coats underneath my stamping. The top coat seems ok, but we will see how it holds up in a few days.

Then I went to Walgreens looking for Revlon Whimsical and the Wet N Wild Fantasy Makers collection and Wet N Wild Fergie collection. Of course they didn't have either, but I ended up with this stuff.
Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/mKnhZh.jpg'
NYC Matte Me Crazy top coat, Sinful Colors Smokin (from the Muse collection, I must say that collection was all very nice) and Revlon Popular (which I really cannot wait to try but I don't know if I have anything that will look good under it).

So I guess I had a pretty eventful weekend!
By Breannemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2041, member since Sun May 08, 2005
On Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:08 AM
You are all such bad influences. I also have an addiction to nail polish but WAS on the recovery path. I hadn't bought a new polish in 3 months until tonight.
I caved and bought "classic with a twist" on Julep. You really can't go wrong with a penny.

Question- what brand do you use for white polish? Right now I have Essie and I am not a fan.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:56 AM
Eeek you guysssssss. I want pretty nails! I may just have to invest in a stamper. Spiorad, did you post a link to where I could get plates and a stamper? I feel like I clicked on a link here and they had lots of plates, and the plates description said "to be used with so and so stamper" but when I tried to find the stamper on the same site I couldn't?

Also, what is your manicure routine? Do you trim your cuticles or just push them back? Inquiring minds want to know!
re: Pretty Nail Addict (karma: 1)
On Mon Oct 01, 2012 06:47 PM
Well I can answer a few questions, and I am sure Spiorad will be around to tell us what she uses.

As for white, I like China Glaze White on White but it does not work well for stamping. For stamping I have heard that Sally Hansen and Wet N Wild both make good ones (because they are thick and kind of goopy).

For a Stamper, I have the Konad Double ended stamper. I recommend this one, it is the only one I have used, but it works great for me and I have seen less than stellar reviews for drug store brands (plus they are only like $5). As for plates, I don't have much, but any plates (like Bundle Monster or MASH) should work with this stamper.

I am actually quite proud of my cuticles, if you can tell from my pictures. I use the CND Cuticle Remover because it is what a lot of salons use. It comes in a big bottle and you only use a little drop on each finger like once a week, so it will last forever. I wait 1-2 minutes then push them back with an Orange Stick. The first time you use it, you will be surprised how much dead skin is on the surface of your nails, so you will have to wipe off the stick after every finger because there is so much skin peeling off. Sometimes I may take the rubber end of a drug store cuticle stick and push them back in the shower too. Then after my polish has completely dried, and then every night I use the stuff I got in my Burt's Bees Hand Repair Kit. The cuticle cream (almost more like an oil but not greasy) is REALLY great and I would recommend it, you can pick it up anywhere really and it is about half the price of the Lush Lemony Flutter cream that a lot of people recommend. The rest of the stuff in the kit isn't all that great, I will only be repurchasing the Cuticle Cream. Although the tiny tube of lotion that comes in the kit is really great for rough elbows.

I really only need a good pink for french manicures and then my stash will be good for awhile!
By Rincemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1462, member since Sat Oct 01, 2005
On Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:22 PM
I ordered Julep Maven when a friend gave me a coupon code for 5 nail polishes for 4.99, this is what I got. They seem pretty nice, I don't know if I'm gonna cancel my subscription
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:41 AM
^ ooooh I like Chelsea!

Something else I just learned. When someone uses your Julep referral link, they have to stay signed up for at least 30 days, otherwise they take away your referral credit. I guess I get the point, but kind of annoying. Just FYI in case anyone else gave a friend their referral link!

I still haven't gotten my box, apparently it requires a signature? Hrmph. On a happy note, my sample society box shipped today! WEEE!
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 02:54 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to order a stamper reallllyyyy soon.

What about top coat/base coat? I've been browsing pinterest and so many people have such gorgeous looking nails, is the secret in the top coat?
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:04 PM
I'm attempting my most ambitious nail art to date tonight, wish me luck!
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 06:12 PM
Edited by hooray4jj (97099) on 2012-10-02 19:44:13
Nienna wrote:

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to order a stamper reallllyyyy soon.

What about top coat/base coat? I've been browsing pinterest and so many people have such gorgeous looking nails, is the secret in the top coat?

Seche Vite is good and it drys very quickly, so it does help set your polish. You just have to be careful during application, you want to use enough so that you aren't smearing your design and so it won't shrink your polish underneath. You can get it at some Walgreens and Sally's. I have also heard good things about Out the Door which is a brand I have seen used in tons of salons. I plan on getting some of that when I run out of my Seche Vite and Butter London top coat. If you want your nails to last more than a week, you might have to try using a few different things, but so far everything I have tried has given me at least a week with minimal chipping at the tips (I am a bank teller, I use my hands constantly, so I have significantly more wear on them than a lot of people I know). EDIT: realized I forgot to give my review of the Butter London Hardwear Top Coat. It works really well, and is very glossy, but I will never be able to spend $18 on it again when there is a chance that the less expensive stuff works just as well. I use it with my 3-free polishes because I hear that other top coats with chemicals in it don't mix well with 3-free polishes.

Just as important is the base coat. Right now I use Butter Londons nail foundation. I don't recommend it. It is far too expensive for what it does. I got it because I like that it isn't clear, it is a matte nude that dries very quickly and really does prevent staining on every color I have used. My nails look better than most people I know because of that base coat preventing staining. However, the reason I don't recommend it is because it really does not do a good job at getting the polish to stick to it. My polish is more prone to peeling because of this base coat. It is like the polish wants to just separate from the base coat. The funniest thing about it is that I notice the peeling most with my Butter London colors?! I plan on trying this ORLY Bonder Base Coat if I can find some place that has it! I will try Sally's and if I can't find it there, I will just order it. Supposedly it is pretty tacky and helps keep the polish from peeling.

Amylia, I am super excited to see what you do! Even though I do my nails on Sunday I am thinking about redoing them tonight because I have a date tomorrow night. I am terrible.
Page:
Page 4 of 321 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch