Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 5 of 321 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 28 29 30 31 32
re: Pretty Nail Addict
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:40 AM

So it didn't turn out very well haha. It was my attempt at a Snow White inspired nail. But it took me a really long time so I will leave it on for a few days. I just need a lot more practice stamping
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:57 AM
^ after some cleanup it will look really good! I bet you could even wait until later when they are really dry, put some scotch tape on there and do another coat of the blue!

This totally reminds me of a picture I saw just a while ago, I had to go back and find it. You can totally tell they are the disney princesses, but it is nothing really literal.
re: Pretty Nail Addict (karma: 2)
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 06:59 PM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2012-10-02 19:01:24 Added something
(Sorry this turned out to be such a long reply! I didn’t realize I had been gone for so long haha. But anyway I will put headings to make it easier to read)
Amylia – I really like the little cherries! I’m going to have to look through my plates and try something like that :)

Hooray4jj – I am so jealous! You found some great polishes! I’m especially jealous that you found the NYC matte topcoat because I have been looking for it every couple of days when I get off the bus (it drops me off right in front of a Walgreens) and they haven’t had it. I’ll keep looking though. Technically I shouldn’t buy another matte top coat since I Just bought the Hard Candy one but hey, come on! We’re nail polish addicts!

Breanne – Right now I have a few different whites. A Sally Hansen one that came in a French manicure kit (along with a really terrible pink), Sinful Colors White and Pure Ice. Overall the one that I like the most is the one by Pure Ice. The Sinful Colors one gets streaky very easily and the Sally Hansen one has a really thin brush that bugs me, but the polish is pretty good.

Nienna – Hooray4jj had some great advice and I totally second her recommendation for a Konad double sided stamper. Hands down it is the best I have used. Plus, because one side is smaller you have more precision if you are doing smaller stamps. However, the scraper is nothing great. I actually just use an old gift card because I was so sick of the scraper being so hard to clean, being way to small and just in general being hard to work with.

ALL ABOUT NAIL STAMPING AND STAMPERS

Konad Double Sided Stamper and Scraper: www.amazon.com . . .

Bundle Monster Plates 25pc set
www.amazon.com . . .

MASH Plates 25pc set
www.amazon.com . . . (I got mine off of the MASH because they were a bit cheaper but they are not coming up there so they might be currently sold out. But these are the same plates.)

Up close look at all the MASH plates I linked to above ^
www.youtube.com . . .

CUTICLES

Now when it comes to cuticles I have to admit that I am so ashamed of mine :( when I was younger I used to bit my nails and I somehow managed to break that habit but when I am nervous or super stressed I now have the habit of picking at my cuticles. No es bueno! But I have found some ways to combat my horrendous habit!

Island Girl Cuticle Oil in Honeysuckle is my FAVORITE because of how mazing it smells but seriously, putting olive oil on for like, 10 min. every few days (or as needed) does the same thing.
cdn.highwire.com . . . (< I think this is actually a picture of the jasmine scented one but this is what all the bottles pretty much look like)

I also second the Burt’s Bees Cuticle Cream, absolutely AMAZING stuff!
www.drugstore.com . . .

When I need some extra help I also use Problem Cuticle Remover by Sally Hansen:
www.walgreens.com . . . (put on cuticles, wait 3-8 minutes and gently push back with an orange stick/cuticle stick)

It is recommended to really almost never cut your cuticles because it is so easy for them to get infected but since I have the habit of picking at my cuticles and picking until I tear it off, if I have a piece of skin that I know I’ll pick at and end up making worse, I will trim it. Either with cuticle scissors, regular nail clippers or cuticle nippers: www.walgreens.com . . .={adtype}&sst=73591e14-c4a2-91c8-caa9-000029ee3396 <<< These are like $20.00 but I know I only paid, at MOST, $5 for mine and they work great.

But I do have to say that if you can avoid cutting your cuticles I recommend it because it is a lot healthier and a lot less hassle. It is very easy to cut a little too much, or yank when you don’t mean to, and your left with a cut. Not fun.

BASE AND TOP COATS

Base and top coats are SUPER-DI-DUPER important. Do NOT fall for those that say “base and top coat”. A base and a top coat are supposed to do two completely different things. A base coat is meant to protect your natural nail from staining and some of the more harsh ingredients in nail polish. It is also supposed to help the nail polish adhere to your nail and make it last longer.

A top coat is meant to seal everything and protect it from wear. It is supposed to repel everything that would otherwise make the nail polish dull or fade. Perfect example of this is when I did the black and gold zebra nails that I posted a picture of. I got lazy and didn’t put a top coat and in about 2-3 days the gold was fading off and I had to redo it.

Right now my favorite base coat is Bridge the Ridge: www.luuux.com . . . It dries matte and it is amazing! I got it at Sally’s for a very affordable price and I need to buy another one soon.
For top coats my favorite right now is Sally Hansen Insta-dri top coat
www.soap.com . . .

A lot of people have problem with shrinkage when they use fast drying top coats but I have never had that problem with this one. I will say though that I always wrap my nails (where you apply nail polish to the very tip of the nail and slightly under it) so this might be why.

EDIT:
Amylia those are super cute!!! I second the idea of going over it when it is completely dry, there are always ways to make it work haha
re: Pretty Nail Addict (karma: 1)
On Wed Oct 03, 2012 03:40 AM
My previous message was to old to edit but I wanted to add this link:

Up Close look at the Bundle Monster 25pc plates
www.youtube.com . . .

Bundle Monster plates on Amazon (2011 collection 25pc set)
www.amazon.com . . .

Bundle Monster plates on Amazon (2012 collection 25pc set)
www.amazon.com . . .

Bundle Monster 2012 collection 25pc set up close look
www.youtube.com . . .

I personally only have the Bundle Monster 2011 and MASH 2012 sets (1 random Konad and the as seen on TV set as well). I have heard though to be careful with Red Angel because they do not have cardboard backing and so some people were cutting themselves on the edges. Also, I've heard that the first few SHANY plates were not etched deep enough and that the designs would not transfer but word around the web is that the newer ones are a little better. And they are not backed so please be careful if you get these plates because yes, they are cheaper then even Bundle Monster or MASH, but you might cut yourself while handling them.

SHANY 2012 up close:
www.youtube.com . . .

www.amazon.com . . .
/dp/B004DK0UDA/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1349235202&sr=1-1&keywords=Nail+stamping
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:26 PM
I'm so excited to be putting in my order soon (once a highly irritating case of identity theft is cleared up by my bank. >:|)

Is scotch tape how you get such crisp french manicure-ish lines?? I always wonder how people do it! Are scotch tape and stickers you can cut into designs part of your nail kits?
On Wed Oct 03, 2012 07:51 AM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2012-10-03 07:53:37 whole=/=hole
^I hope it gets taken care of very soon!

As for tape you have to be careful because if the polish is not dry enough and you put the tape on it, when you pull the tape off it will pull the nail polish off as well. What I'll do is get the tape and stick it to my hand a couple of time and peel it off so that it is not as sticky so the risk of pulling the nail polish off is minimized.

You can also use french tip guides:
www.ebay.com . . . (I know Walmart and Walgreens have them too but I think it comes in a whole kit with a pink and white)

I've also used my craft scissors (from when I do scrapbooking) to make designs on tape and do something like this:
pinterest.com . . .

Or nail strippers can be used to hide messy lines, create perfect lines and designs:
www.amazon.com . . .

I've also used stamps (I can't remember what they're actually called but they're like hole punchers but with designs) so I've punched hearts and stuff into tape and the put it on my nail as like a stencil. Now that I have actual nail stamping plates I don't do this as much but it comes in handy when I have a color that I really like but it is to light to use on stamping plates.

TBH I don't use tape very often because it does take so long if you have a base coat and it is so easy to mess up if it hasn't dried properly or if you leave the tape on for to long.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Oct 03, 2012 08:10 PM
You can also use those hole reinforcement stickers or those garage sale dot stickers that you get from an office supply store/Walmart/etc. for french tips, half moon manicures, etc... Just depends on the width of your fingernail, next time you are at Walmart, just go in that aisle and hold stickers up to your finger. Or get some painters tape, it isn't as sticky as scotch tape, so I think it works better. I don't do a whole lot of taping, but I just took some painters tape from my dad to try it out and it works!
On Wed Oct 03, 2012 05:35 PM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2012-10-03 18:49:21 added info on Bundle Monster discount
^ Hooray4jj, have you gotten your Julep box yet?

EDIT:
Just in case anyone is interested Bundle Monster is giving 15% off your order when you type in "Thanks" at checkout but this is only on their direct site.
www.bundlemonster.com . . .
On Thu Oct 04, 2012 04:01 AM
^ Yes I got it yesterday, finally! Maybe I will try one out this weekend. Last night I did "date nails" and I have a couple pictures to post tomorrow maybe (I don't know why I do this, he has never once commented on my nails lol). I used my new matte top coat and I literally had my mouth hanging open watching it dry so fast before my eyes into amazingness!
On Thu Oct 04, 2012 07:57 AM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2012-10-04 08:00:03
^Which colors did you get? Or is the first one the same for everyone?

I used the blue one I got last night (Claire) but when it dried it bubbled like craaaazy! I have only ever had one other polish bubble like that but I don't know if it was the polish or if it was where I was doing my nails because there was a bit of a breeze passing through and I've read that sometimes that causes bubbles. Either way I was really disappointed so I just covered it in glitter. I really hate nail polish bubbles :(
By t_macdee Comments: 30, member since Tue Sep 07, 2010
On Thu Oct 04, 2012 05:29 PM
I'm going for a french manicure with sparkly tips when I do my nails today. I'm hoping it won't come across trashy!

I'm seriously obsessed with floral print nails, but I always do mine myself and its a difficult style to do one handed. I just can't seem to find any strips with a pretty enough floral that I like :(
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 03:19 AM
So my fellow nail addicts, I have a question for you all!

What is a nail trend that you love, and one that you are not so fond of?

By trend I mean like things that have come along that are different then "normal" nail polish. Some examples:
*Flakies
*Crackle
*Caviar Nails
*Gradient Nails
*Half moons at base or tip
*Matte nails
*Water Marbling
*Stiletto nails
etc
etc
etc!

I have to say that for the longest time I could not STAND matte nail polish! One of the first colors that I got when I actually started really getting into doing my nails was Dream On by Sinful Colors and it dried matte and I HATED it completely and refused to wear it with out a huge glob of extra shiny top coat. As it is I now own a top coat thats job is to make any nail polish matte, so there ya go!

I think if it is done right it can look really cool :) so I'm on board with it haha

One nail trend I cannot stand that I think just needs to go away? Stiletto Nails. Hands down. Well... really any nails (acrylic or otherwise) that are super long or oddly shape weird me out. But yeah, I just do not understand it.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 05:25 AM
^ I don't know what most of those are.

I like matte polish, but it chips pretty quickly

I have a black shatter/crackle polish...last time I used it was last October. It feels like a fall/winter thing, ditto for the matte.

-----

I bought three new polishes last Sunday (all Butter). I currently have "Sporg" on my fingers and I really like it, it's almost periwinkle. I also got 'Henley Regatta' and have that on my toes, it's so sparkly.

I also bought "The Black Knight" and will be trying it out soon.
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 01:13 AM
Edited by hooray4jj (97099) on 2012-10-06 01:19:11
Ok, so terrible pictures again, but I did a before and after pictures of my new Sinful Colors Smokin, this is just 1 thicker coat on each nail, I think I only had to do 2 coats on my thumbs and on 1 nail that I got a tiny smudge on.

Before (was super proud of myself, this is pre-cleanup... actually I only had clean-up on 1 nail of my right hand, I am getting really good at that little gap between my nail and cuticles which has helped my cuticle health too)
Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/ggEIWl.jpg'

After using NYC Matte Me Crazy
Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/8dVW3l.jpg'

I didn't take a picture of the final outcome, I was going to wait and take one in natural light but I forgot and then it started to wear at the tips, but I did this after it dried. Only I just did dots on my ring finger and then stripes on my thumbs. I love it.

Which also answers your question, I love matte polish. In fact I love matte anything, it is much more my style, although some colors just plain look good glossy. If you wrap your polish, apply a long lasting top coat and THEN use the matte top coat, you get a much longer wear with minimal chipping. I cannot stand those half moon manicures. Most of the time I see them someone has tried to freehand it and it looks out of control and awful. Though I am SO tempted to try it to see if I could get it to look nice. I also don't think I will get around to trying water marbling, I hate a mess of any kind, but I do want to do dry marbling. Also, t_macdee asked if there is an easier way to do designs on your dominant hand, and there is. Get like a ziploc or other plastic bag, paint your base coat and then design on that, when it is dry you can peel it off and cut it to size. Paint your base coat or clear coat on your nail, while it is not super wet but still tacky lay the pre-painted design on the nail and wait for that to dry on your nail. Clip it down to size and apply top coat.

And yes, everyone gets the same colors for your first Julep box based on what trend you pick. I plan on using one of the colors this weekend so I will let you know how application goes. Do you shake your polish before you use it? That can cause bubbles, you should roll it between your palms. Also, try not to apply a really thick coat. I very rarely have bubbles, and it has only happened with my cheap polish like Sinful Colors and Spoiled. I also usually have a fan going when I apply polish and it hasn't affected anything even though I know you aren't supposed to.

ETA: Does anyone else watch Project Runway? They featured these new L'Oreal colors and I desperately want to try one... anyone ever have any luck with L'Oreal? They seem kind of expensive for a drugstore brand.
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:36 AM
I haven't tried caviar nails yet, I would like to.

I'm loving stamping, water marbling, and some shatters. I also just bought a magnetic polish I'm excited to try.

Hate hate hate stiletto nails. Nothing about them looks appealing to me.
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 07:18 AM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2012-10-06 07:21:03

^^^The pic I posted are stiletto nails. But they don't have to be as long. Stiletto means that they come to a defined point.

^^Hooray4jj I LOVE dry marbling!! And if you do it in a longer strip rather then a circle, you can use it for all your nails. I've actually also saved the leftovers and used them to do tips and stuff.

I'm also really religious about not shaking my bottles and only rolling them and putting on thin coats. I'm not sure why it bubbled so much because I don't usually get bubbling even with my cheap polish. I think it might be my base coat because it is almost gone and I have to fish around in the bottle quite a bit to get some on the brush. I really need to go get another one but I know there is like a .00023% chance that I'll be able to go into Sally's without getting another polish haha

What setting are you using on your camera? The focus is out you might try using the macro setting to see if you can get a better focus. Or take the picture further away to get it clear and then when you put it on your comp you can zoom in.
By Rincemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1462, member since Sat Oct 01, 2005
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 03:37 PM
I found another really great deal! If any of y'all have an ulta close, china glaze is buy two get one free plus you can use a $5 off ten coupon and then it is $9 for three high quality polishes or $3 each.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 03:56 PM
Spiorad wrote:

^^^The pic I posted are stiletto nails. But they don't have to be as long. Stiletto means that they come to a defined point.

I do not like that. Why would you want pointy nails/claws. :/
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:40 AM
Edited by hooray4jj (97099) on 2012-10-06 11:11:11
Rince wrote:

I found another really great deal! If any of y'all have an ulta close, china glaze is buy two get one free plus you can use a $5 off ten coupon and then it is $9 for three high quality polishes or $3 each.

Thank you so much for reminding me of this! I got the Ulta ad a week ago and had completely forgotten. Plus the $5 off $10 coupon is better than the normal $3.50 coupon (you can use those on the Ulta polishes and most of the drugstore brands, but not Butter London/OPI/Essie I believe). I will be going this weekend. I don't feel like going to find the ad but I believe the 3 for $9 is the Ulta Salon polishes. Butter London and ORLY are also buy 2 get 1 free. Revlon is buy 1 get one half off. I feel like there was an OPI and Essie deal on the new breast cancer awareness polishes.

ETA: Spiorad if you get a new base coat, you should totally try Revlong Colorstay base coat and tell me how it works. It is a decent price and I have heard good things about the base and top coat, I may try those at some point.
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 06:27 PM
Found another deal.

QVC Butter London sale. 3 polishes and matte top coat for $28.
By staygold123 Comments: 482, member since Sat Jun 28, 2008
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 09:13 PM
hooray4jj, I got the Revlon Colorstay Top Coat the other day and I really like it so far!
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 01:13 PM
So I used elmers glue as a base coat and put glitter over it when it ended up bubbling but I did a really sloppy job and got some of the glue on my cuticles. After a few days they started lifting and yesterday morning one came completely off in the shower and I was like, ok well I'll just repaint it really quick before I go to dance and work.

The funny thing is, it came out better, ,with no bubbling, then when I was at my house! I had the air conditioner on and it was hitting the nail that I fixed and I wasn't taking my time to be extra careful XP so yeah, I'm pretty convinced it was just my house that made it bubble.

The only thing about the Julep polish I'm not to crazy about is how watery it is. So many times I've had it almost drip a huge glop off the side of the brush as I have been painting my nails. But other then that I really like it!
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 08:11 PM
^ Spiorad you gotta try the purple next. I suppose you could call it a little watery, but to me it wasn't any different than a lot of Essies (most Essies go on streaky for me unless they are a cream). The other 2 colors are a cream polish which is what I usually go for, so I decided to try the purple first. I don't know what to call it, but it isn't a cream. With new polishes I always do my toes first so I know how the polish applies. My only complaint is that for some reason I got a lot of polish buildup at the neck of the bottle. I assume it is because the bottle is so small. I love this color, it will be perfect for my Halloween nails that I am planning! I like the brush a lot and it dried quicker than a lot of my polishes. I applied my first coat pretty thick because of the formula:

1 thick coat
Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/FHJFDl.jpg'

2 coats (2nd coat was pretty thin) + top coat
Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/xPGGrl.jpg'

I am off to Ulta and Target now. I hope to pick up some sort of shimmer that I can use with this polish and some taping!
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 08:15 PM
I love this thread! Hooray4jj: your cuticles (or the absence of) are amazing. I am so buying every product you mentionned! Mine are a mess and it's making my manicures look sloppy.
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 06:36 PM
Edited by hooray4jj (97099) on 2012-10-07 18:48:07
Edited by hooray4jj (97099) on 2012-10-07 19:54:21
^ thank you! I wish I could take a better picture of my cuticles. I will remember one of these days to go outside in the afternoon and get a good one. I will tell you, even though the products I use are great, the biggest change in my cuticles came when I learned to stop flooding them with polish. The pictures I posted above is before clean up. As in, I didn't get any polish on my skin whatsoever. I leave the tiniest of gap on the bottom and sides of my nail. When polish gets in there it dries out your skin, then you have to use drying acetone to get the polish off your skin.

This is the best example I can find
Image hotlink - 'http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-v80TKeim-_M/UHGVIq3c2yI/AAAAAAAAFJw/SBSAXFo17Cc/s640/Lana4.JPG' .

It takes practice, but it is worth it, especially if you change polish a lot. Most bloggers do this method because they change their polish so often, it is easier to remove, won't dry out/ stain your skin.

More pictures later when I am done with my taping. I broke my thumb nail while I was at Ulta today >.<
Page:
Page 5 of 321 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch