Forum: Adults / 20 Something

My ebay days are over! (just a moan)
By sparklystars
On Fri Aug 17, 2012 05:14 PM

Sorry guys, this is going to be just one big moan.

Well, I used to sell some of my old clothes on ebay because I have a tendency to only wear things a few times, or they hang in my wardrobe forever with tags still on. I used to get fairly good money back so it was worthwhile.

Recently though, I've just had enough! I feel like people are SO rude and so ungrateful. One person sent me a load of abuse because they didn't win one of my auctions. Another asked me if I would post from the UK to Australia, which I agreed to but they got angry when they didn't want to pay the postage (which I didn't even exaggerate in any way) and then must have calmed down and emailed me a few days later to see if I would sell it as buy it now and what would my price be as they had seen it somewhere for £10 (it was a Miss Selfridge dress, £35 - tags still on and was still selling online for £35).

Then I sold 2 lipsy dresses which were bought by the same person for £4 and £6. They then emailed me right after winning the auction saying where was their invoice and that I should remember to combine postage (which I would obviously do anyway since it's going to the same place but they were so rude about it! I can't even reply to them right now because I feel so annoyed about it and don't want to be cheeky.

It just doesn't seem worth it anymore. Sorry for the moan

17 Replies to My ebay days are over! (just a moan)

re: My ebay days are over! (just a moan)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 17, 2012 07:48 PM
My husband was really active on ebay for a long time, and used to get so annoyed over the same thing. Just for an example - he's been turned in to ebay twice for using stolen images of the stuff that he sells, despite the fact that it clearly and plainly says right in the ad (multiple times) that he took the picture himself.

If you have one of those shops that takes in stuff and posts it to ebay for you, you could consider that. You might not get as much money as if you were posting it yourself, but then you don't have to deal with the idiots, either. :D
By xBallet_babex
On Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:18 PM
Seriously, who has time to do that sort of thing? I don't think I've ever emailed a seller unless I was buying some industrial type stuff for work. I win or I don't and then I get on with my life.

Can you take your stuff to a consignment store? I guess that's similar to T's suggestion, but I basically do 1/2 my shopping at the consignment stores now just because I like expensive things but don't want to pay for them. I get a LOT new with tags for 10-20% of the price someone paid at a store.
By ballerinatwirler
On Sun Aug 19, 2012 05:48 AM
What about just taking a short break from Ebay? I've been selling on Ebay and Amazon for a few years and every now and then I get really annoyed with it and have to take a break.

I'm in the US so things might be different. I've learned that alot of people tend to abuse Ebay. I've had people win auctions and never pay or respond to messages. I've had people change their mind after winning auctions and just want me to cancel it without making a case on Ebay. On Amazon I've had people buy the wrong item and get upset with me over it.

Recently I had a lady buy a dress that I listed as a medium but wrote in my description that it fit more like a medium/large because I have a bunch of dresses from that store and the dress ran a bit larger. She gets the dress and leaves me negative feedback because it was a medium. It clearly stated that. She never contacted me and I offered to let her return it after the feedback was left.

I've made some guidelines that I post with my auction in the item description box.

-No international shipping
-Payment due within 3 business days unless they contact me with a payment issue.
-I won't ship the item until the payment is received.
-No returns because I could just imagine if I allowed it.

I try to respond to emails ASAP from potential buyers so they don't accidently win something they were unsure about.

I've taken things to consignment shops and honestly it's not worth it. You'll make like 1/3 of it's value if that. It's great to shop at them but selling your clothes to them is a big rip-off.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 19, 2012 05:55 AM
My brother has had similar issues with ebay. He's not a seller though. Sellers were saying he's a bad buyer because he complained to them that the item didn't work or something and wanted to return it (I don't remember the details). He just left for a while.

I've only ever bought one thing from ebay. I didn't mean too. I bid on something and no else bid on it! It was something I wanted but I didn't mean to actually buy it. But since I won I felt obligated to actually buy it.
re: My ebay days are over! (just a moan) (karma: 1)
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 19, 2012 06:18 AM
Er...when you win something on EBay, you ARE obligated to buy it. That's how it works. It's not optional.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:46 PM
^ Erin, that's what I thought (though, I don't recall reading that anywhere). My point was I wouldn't dare try to not buy it. I can't believe some people would like in balletrinatwirlers post.
By kandykanePremium member
On Sun Aug 19, 2012 03:07 PM
It's not just rude buyers, there are some really sketchy sellers, too. Once I bought a DVD. Paid promptly, as I always do and was told the item had shipped. Never got it. Turns out the guy took a lot of people's money and then disappeared. We filed a dispute and while ebay agreed with us, we never got our money back. I think he was banned but that's as far as it went. Ebay told us to contact the police and it was on the other side of the country.

I buy something once in a while, but that's it. I've been ripped off on shipping, some sellers charge a flat rate for shipping everything and that's how they get you. You buy an item for $4 and then have to pay $25 to get it shipped, when it plainly could have been sent for about $3.

And there are so many problems with the automatic bidder tricks, it's pretty hard to actually win an auction. I usually only buy if it's 'buy it now'.

kk~
By xBallet_babex
On Sun Aug 19, 2012 02:24 PM
Edited by xBallet_babex (199211) on 2012-08-19 14:26:25 grammar fail! I have a lot of these
If we're the same size, I'd buy your clothes off you, especially if you have good fashion sense since I do not! haha

I forgot my other "pet peeve" about those sites. My biggest issues with those sites is that people pay for good feedback. I ordered a book for class a few days before I needed it from someone with GREAT scores and when it didn't show up for 2 weeks I emailed the person and she said she sent it. It showed up a week later from 2 states over, so literally a 7 hour drive and it was post marked a few days AFTER I contacted her. When I gave her negative feedback (especially for the lying!) and she tried to pay me off to take it down and I wouldn't do it. I bet a LOT of people take a refund to remove their feedback though.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 03:48 AM
As a buyer, I've had really good luck with Ebay for dancewear, videos and vintage/antique silverware. The one time there were shipping-receiving problems it was all resolved in the long run. The seller had to go out of town for an emergency with her mother leaving her husband in charge of shipping items to recent buyers. He probably tried his best but it became a real comedy of errors. After her return she got it all straightened out and tossed in a nice little extra item for me as a than-you for being patient.
By sparklystars
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:16 AM
I've generally been quite lucky buying although I tend to only buy small thingsm now and then like a phone cover. I've only had a problem once and managed to get my money back.

Do you think I should try selling as buy it now or just have a break for a while? Mostly if I buy things now I look for buy it now items, not sure if that's the way forward. I probably sound silly but it's upsetting because I LOVE my clothes and they are all in fantastic condition, I'm only selling to make space for new things and update my wardrobe a bit so when people are moaning about £3 postage for a £35 dress that still has tags on when they already just won the dress for £4 it makes me want to say actually I don't want you to have my dress anymore! Although I know I can't do that, don't worry, I wouldn't!
By ballerinatwirler
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 01:45 PM
I would try to list things as buy it now. That way you are guaranteed to get what you want for the item.

Do you write any kind of guidelines for your items? Like what you expect out of the buyer? Like what I posted in my first response?

I'm off to work now but I'll PM you later to give you some helpful hints and examples of guidelines I use.
By sparklystars
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 04:53 PM
I do put up guidelines very similar to yours for buyers but any suggestions you have would be fab, thank you.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 21, 2012 03:34 AM
I've never sold anything on eBay, but I buy stuff all the time and never had a problem. The shipping costs are always displayed. Sometimes I win auctions, sometimes I use "buy it now". I rarely buy things from overseas sellers but if I do, they're in China or Hong Kong and I've had no problem with them either.

Helen
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 21, 2012 09:15 PM
I was a seller for awhile, but the eBay increases their fees constantly. I rarely buy anymore either.

I agree with others that finding an alternate way to sell locally might be better.
By GlitzAgain
On Fri Sep 07, 2012 02:25 AM
Yikes!
By GlitzAgain
On Fri Sep 07, 2012 02:26 AM
Yeah! people can be very rude!
By GlitzAgain
On Fri Sep 07, 2012 02:27 AM
I wish you the best in e-bay for the future. Maybe have a no refund policy or just block rude people and threaten to report them to the e-bay people or give them bad review or somethign

ReplySendWatch