Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Best lunch tupperware for college student
By Spiorad
On Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:11 PM

I know tupperware is actually a brand but I didn't know what else to call it XP

Anyway, I am really going to try to take my lunch everyday to school. I have plan that has been working for getting my food ready and all that but I need to find a better way to store it throughout the day.

I ride my bike to and from uni and so I have a panier. Taking a lunch bag or box takes up to much room and a lunch bag also means that the food is not protected.

I am looking for something more tupperware-y so that my food will be safe.

I know that there are tones of things out there and I have looked at several. One that I really like from walmart has a bottom compartment open compartment for things like salads, a middle divider that you freeze and put in there to keep food cold ( big here because I live in the desert and it is routinely over 100 degrees) and the top compartment has one large compartment (like for a sandwich) and two smaller compartments for extras. it all snaps together so it doesn't take up that much room and on top it has a little snap for a fork and spoon that it comes with.

I really like it because I wouldn't have to worry about finding something to eat with but I don't like that they are exposed because a lot of the time I have to just toss shoes, extra clothes, books etc. into my bag.

So anyone have any ideas? I'm not a fan of the ones that are really long because it has to fit in my panier bag.

It also can't be ridiculously expensive because I would like to buy at least 3 so that I don't have to wash them every night, I'd have at least a night in between to do it.

8 Replies to Best lunch tupperware for college student

re: Best lunch tupperware for college student
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 19, 2012 09:37 PM
Edited by hooray4jj (97099) on 2012-08-19 21:38:54
I really don't know what you usually pack. Just wanted to say that I have theseorder.tupperware.com . . . and order.tupperware.com . . . and I like them. Never planned on spending that much on tupperware, but my friend had one of those parties a couple years back and I figured well they have a lifetime warranty so I may as well. They have the little vent on the lids, so that they are good for microwaving. I would be willing to bet that another company makes something similar that you could find at Target or something. The nice thing about having actual Tupperware is that the lids have never warped on me, they haven't stained, overall they have held up really well. If you don't intend on microwaving what you are taking for lunch though, my advice is not very helpful.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 07:01 PM
What's a standard lunch for you? I always like those cool cups where you can put the salad in them, and it keeps the dressing and lettuce seperate from each other, but if you don't like salad, that doesn't help. So if you need to store something in particular, that'd be helpful to know...

I saw in the kids section at Target a little bento box style set. You could buy a variety of different size pieces (like a round cup for soup, a square for a sandwich, etc.), and they were all insultaed, and clicked together so they'd stay together in the lunchbox. If you're a hearty eater, that doesn't help, but if you're OK with smaller portions, they were really cool.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 09:32 PM
I have a salad container and I love it!

www.kitchenbusy.com . . .
It has a lower part for the letter, a divided compartment that you can freeze to keep peppers, tomatoes, cheese separate and a little cup for dressing. its very lightweight.

Also, do you have a mail slot or anything at school? We do at my school and we all toss in some easy mac containers and small things like that! Most people just bring leftovers in glad ware containers and eat from that.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 12, 2012 02:24 PM
Rubbermaid sells a tupperware kit that was $20 at Target when I bought it, and I love it. It has those snapping lids and it comes in a variety of sizes. I seriously use this stuff everyday. I got a lunch box (also from Target), and in it today are almonds in the little 1 oz tupperware, yogurt with frozen berries in the small tupperware, grapes in a slightly larger tupperware, mini cucumbers in the slightly larger tupperware. I use these things every day, and they're SO great for portion control.

Also, I think tupperware is one of those things, like kleenex, that a brand just dominated the market for so long that the product became known as the brand name. In Puerto Rico, where my family is from, blenders are called Osterizers, after Oster, the big blender brand. #themoreyouknow
By dancer7210
On Sat Oct 13, 2012 06:58 PM
I would get what you saw in Walmart, if you really like that, and put it in a lunch bag, just to protect it in case you accidently open it in your bag so that you doont lose your entire lunch! Having your lunch go free in a lunch bag would not be ideal, but it is better then it getting all mixed in with your school books. Also, that would be small enought to fit in your bag and not take up much space, while still keeping your food cold and having any utensils you may need.
By lildancergirl22
On Sat Oct 13, 2012 07:42 PM
My only advice is that if it comes with an ice pack, make sure it's detachable to go in the freezer.

I have a great container, but the freezer pack is part of the lid which sucks because I usually make my lunch the night before which means if the ice pack is being frozen, I have no lid for my container to keep it in the fridge that night.
By Pinkbubble
On Sat Oct 13, 2012 07:52 PM
I bike also, and I have a eco lunch box by smart planet that I love. It has three different spots to put items, and once you are done eating, you can pop it close, and it becomes half size. It also has a fork you can pop out. The bottom is a bit more flexible compared to other containers, but nothing spills out and it the items inside stay intact for me (and I put dressing and other messy stuff in there).
By Daxton
On Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:27 PM
I know the shades of things are there and I�ve seen a lot. We will see term paper writing service. One I really like from walmart is the basement of the apartment open for things like salads, the middle of which is stuck and put in there to let the cold food and upstairs room has a large living room (such as a sandwich) and two small portions for extras.

ReplySendWatch