Forum: Ballet / Character Ballet

Character Ballet
Do you ever stop character?
By balletgirl4ever Comments: 535, member since Tue Jul 31, 2012
On Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:18 AM

Hey, in the RAD grades do you ever stop character or do you do it up to grade 8?

9 Replies to Do you ever stop character?

re: Do you ever stop character?
By wembley Comments: 310, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Aug 21, 2012 01:36 PM
You do it up until grade 8, but there is no character work in the vocational levels/majors, which some studios do instead of grades 6-8 (some do both, or just the grades).
On Tue Aug 21, 2012 06:18 PM
Oh, cool :/ I really dont like it but I guess I'll have to stick with it until I finish the grades. Im on grade 5 now. I wish the grades had more actual ballet.
On Tue Aug 21, 2012 09:44 PM
I've just done the grade 6 exam (my first ballet exam ever- I'm an adult dancer), and grade 6 is quite different to grade 5- much 'dancier', so you should prefer it. The centre exercises are like short dances, especially the port de bras and the adage and the waltz. There are no character exercises- instead there are three short dances (polonaise, mazurka and krakoviak). You have a choice of doing a classical, free movement or character solo dance (I did the classical, which is cute and quite short).

In grades 6-8, there is much more of an emphasis on performance quality. Grade 7 is based on the romantic ballet style, and has lots of long, flowing centre exercises. In grade 8, the barre isn't marked at all, and you do a series of dances as your exam, so it is more of a presentation. You do need to do character for grades 6-8, but as dances, not exercises.
On Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:29 PM
Oh my god, that sounds so much better than grade 5! So all the exercises are mini dances? cool! I hate that in grade 5 some of the stuff you can't really make into dances and have to do them like boring exercises, if that makes sense.

I love the classical dance too! Its so cute and floaty and ballet like! Well done for getting into grade 6 by the way! I just started dancing last year.

Thank god about the character, I dont think I could face all the stamping and breaks and claps without them being dances. The higher grades sound a lot more fun, and I need to work on my preformance. Im looking foreward sooo much to grade 6 now. Thanks so much :)
On Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:11 PM
Also, you do a lot of the dances with a partner, so they really are more of a performance.
On Sat Aug 25, 2012 01:16 PM
We dont have like any guys at our school, so I dont think Ill be doing any with a partner... Its very sad :'(
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3982, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Sat Aug 25, 2012 03:12 PM
No, I think she means you do the dance as a pair, not 'partnered' in the classical ballet sense of the word. So no boys required!

There's character in the higher (non-vocational) ISTD grades too, and we had to do one dance on our own and one dance all together (there were three of us in the exam). Think more like Irish duets and trios, except with Eastern European folk dance instead of Irish dancing ;)
On Sat Aug 25, 2012 06:14 PM
Aw, I kinda wanted to do the partener dances with boys. :(

The ISTD way sounds a lot better and more fun! Just doing the dances and no exercises sounds better. I like the folk dances. Its probably the same as the RAD method character though, is it?
On Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:56 PM
Yes, adage grace is right, the dances are done as a pair, not as a pas de deux. So my partner was a girl, and we did some of the centre exercises and the character dances as a pair, like a mirror image, and dancing together in some places.
If you do a YouTube search for RAD grade 6 character, you'll see some examples of the dances. I'd put some links in here, but I'm on an iPad and can't work out how to put YouTube links in, sorry!

ReplySendWatch