Forum: Welcome

New to teaching, would love any advice!
By MissSummer
On Mon Aug 27, 2012 05:16 AM

I will be teaching for the first time as full teacher this year, and words cannot describe how excited/nervous/happy/scared I am! Haha. I have been doing a lot of research here on this site about teaching younger ones, and I will have classes ranging from age 4 to 3rd and 4th grade. If there's any advice on starting classes, warm-ups, what creative ideas you use with younger students, games... anything under the sun, I would love to soak it all in!! :)

6 Replies to New to teaching, would love any advice!

re: New to teaching, would love any advice!
By nikib22
On Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:48 PM
I think the best advice I could give is to overprepare 15 minutes longer than your lesson is. Especially with the little ones- sometimes a lesson is not right or they fly through it you do not want to be staring at the clock with 10 minutes left to go and 15 3 year olds waiting on you. If I'm using certain songs for certain parts of class (which I usually do) I like to make my playlist before class. I teach full time (40 hours a week) so I try to use one lesson general plan for mutliple classes of the same age/technique that way I need 1 lesson plan and 1 play list for multiple classes. that will really cut down on you prep time. Having a playlist that goes from one song to the next you need without having to stop and search for your next song on your ipod will keep the kids from getting restless and help your flow. Kids are the best teachers. They will tell you honestly and loudly what they think about class everyday. Be prepared!;) good luck!
By MissSummer
On Sun Sep 02, 2012 07:04 AM
Wow, thank you so much!! I have been working on expanding my dance music library to accomodate the younger ages and putting them into playlists! You definitely seem to keep yourself busy teaching 40 hours a week :) I'm trying to figure out how to create a solid lesson plan now, (with major over planning!) do you have any tips for that?
By danceland2
On Sun Sep 02, 2012 09:11 PM
I second that...be prepared...overprepared! Kids get bored easily, you take 30 seconds to find a song for a combination or warm up & they get bored! You have about 5 seconds! haha! Have fun too! I turn necessary technique into games. Not for the entire class...but every now & then. It breaks up the monotony of repetition which is necessary!
By BeatsLoveTap
On Tue Oct 09, 2012 02:24 AM
In general, I find it works well to break the class you are teaching up into thirds. Regardless of genre or age group.

Example for a jazz class:
warm up/across the floor and technique/choreography combo

Example for a baby ballet class:
circle with stretching exercises/barre/center floor exercises

Also, when you are out of ideas and a holiday is coming up or there are a large number of students absent you can play a fun choreography game. Split the kids up into groups and give them an emotion (happy,sad,angry,etc.) and something else, like a form of transportation (bicycle, bus, boat, train,etc.) and ask them to choreograph their own routine including those two elements. Then have them perform the routines for each other and have the other kids guess what they were going for.

Do you teach tap or hip hop? I have lots of ideas for tap too if you are interested let me know!
By heffingtonfam1
On Tue Oct 09, 2012 03:13 AM
Beetslovetap....I teach tap to little ones and a begging tap class for 5-7 and I would love some new creative ideas! my email is heffingtonfam1@verizon.net if you would like to share.
By dancingfree21
On Wed Oct 10, 2012 01:07 AM
Be lively!! Kids love when your animated and get down on their level. For example, if we are playing and animal game I am an animal right with them!!

Also! I need tap ideas... teaching tap is new to me and I'm having a hard time so I'd love ideas. My email is byram.kelly@gmail.com

ReplySendWatch