Forum: Folk / African Dance

did anyone do african dance for there dance recital?
By blackdancer99
On Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:24 AM

and describe your outfits

5 Replies to did anyone do african dance for there dance recital?

re: did anyone do african dance for there dance recital?
By DpDancer2721
On Tue Aug 26, 2003 06:35 PM
I did an African Dance last yea rin my studio and it turned out great. We did two songs put together by "The Rusted Root". One of our song titles was "Back To the Earth".

Our costumes looked great on stage too! It was two peices, both with a pattern sparkly from the jungle colors. The top peice came to a hlater top with black string, and came to a V just at our belly buttons. The bottom was a skirt with slits on the sides, the skirt came down to our knees.

Our hair and makeup was more intersting though. We had african makeup like we were in a tribe painted over our eyes and cheeks. Our hair was done in a regular bun but we had a set of feathers coming out of our hair.

We did great at competition because there were a lot of girls and one boy in the number and the judges had never seen our kind of routine. OUr choeography was the best too! Very African like.
By tallydancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 07, 2003 07:59 PM
My company did a piece last winter. It was kind of Amazon/ warrior women themed. We wore bright colored shorts and bra tops then matching fishnet things over out legs and arms then we had different colored straw skirts, bracelets and anklets. It was a really cool dance but by the last performance the stage crew was kind of upset at all the straw that had fallen off back stage :)
its been a few years ....
By cashadoom
On Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:22 PM
but yes! and we had a percussionist from africa. i studied west african dance and we wore patik printed skirts that were basically squares of cloth wrapped arround you and tucked..
if you are looking for costume ideas rent out "ipo no tombe" at your local library....
ps cashadoom is part of an african song,my name was taken
peace out
Costumes for African Dance
By SolidRock
On Thu Oct 16, 2003 08:23 AM
I was in a African Dance company. Depending on the dance . . . we used grass skirts, made our own halter tops out of colorful materials. Dancers usually wear whats called a lappa - looks like a sarong and a top - maybe a halter top, or a jumper top . . . better yet, for costumes, we would buy the african outfits from the $10 store or something and cut it up or tuck it in, make it work. We used yarn to make decorative pom poms and you can add conk shells for jewelry.
By tallydancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 21, 2003 04:02 PM
and if it's really hot like it gets here in florida you can were your lappa as a regular skirt. i have about 7 of them and in the summer time i wear them almost everyday.

ReplySendWatch